Hey my little Brushaflies and welcome back to my blog, Brushafly Mua 🦋 Today’s blog post is a discussion on the Different niches a makeup artist can work in. Professional makeup artists have the opportunity to venture down many different career avenues and niches and today I’m going to list them and discuss them, so if you are planning to become a makeup artist but not sure which direction you would want to take it in, hopefully this post will help you with your makeup journey.
As covid is the bain of all our lives at the moment, many people have either had to postpone career dreams, have been made redundant or have had time to reflect and realise their dreams and now want to pursue them. Even with covid makeup artistry can still be a lucrative career, you just have to abide by new covid cleanliness rules, social distancing rules, ppe rules and so on.
Here are the niches you can as an Mua get a career within the makeup industry in:
- Video / Television and film makeup artists – They tend to work on music videos, album covers, films, movies, television shows, educational and industrial videos and tv advert commercials. Film makeup artists and television makeup artists might specialise in their chosen theme e.g. Tv or film but their expertise can expand to both. They must have the skills to remember and recreate looks that might have been on a actor or actress months before.
- Print / editorial makeup artists – They tend to work in magazine photo shoots, runway and fashion shows but can also do movie posters, brochures and catalogues. Their makeup skills may be quite tame or very out there depending on what the photographer, designer or fashion editor assign.
- Theatre makeup artists – They work in theatre and have skills to make makeup stand out to the audience in the back row. So they will specialise in making certain facial features stand out.
- Bridal makeup artist – As it says this makeup artist will tend to the needs of brides and bridesmaids on their big day. They will have the skills to create a glam look that will look timeless on the big day. They will know how to bring out the best in their clients features.
- Spa makeup artists – These makeup artists will usually have a background within the other beauty subjects like massage, reiki, facials etc. But they may end up specialising in makeup for clients who are having a spa day.
- Medical makeup artist – In this modern day an age no one has to feel less than themselves after being ill. A medical makeup artist may move onto helping women or men apply makeup to make them feel better either by teaching them how to apply it , or by learning how to tattoo makeup onto the skin. (although you could have been a tattoo artist first too)
- Makeup counter consultant – You might love makeup and want to teach others how to apply it in a shop setting, and then you can suggest makeup for them to buy that will be best for them to use at home. This is quite often a starting point for many makeup artists, but is not a job to be sniffed at, many makeup artists love it and will stay on.
- Celebrity makeup artist – Obviously the most Glam niche within makeup. Most, if not all celebrities will have their own personal makeup artist at their beck and call, which for the makeup artist can be awesome, it can mean travelling the world, getting to go to some glam events and getting the chance to be recognised as their mua and having the chance to have your name sort of in the celebrity world.
- Costume makeup artists – These are not always considered makeup artists by many, but face painting, temporary tattoos etc can be a form of makeup artistry, I mean just look at the makeup trends in Instagram and Tiktok, you can’t tell me face paint isn’t makeup!
- Makeup teacher – Well we all have to start and learn somewhere right? Maybe you love makeup and teaching. Teaching makeup to groups of people, one to one or at a college can be a great and rewarding job.
So there you have it, the different niches within the makeup industry that a makeup artist can end up working in. If you are thinking about becoming an mua, then its a good idea to think of the niche or niches you would like to work in.
I hope this blog post has helped you in some way. If it has why not consider following my blog so you are kept up to date with all things makeup and beauty. Take care my Brushaflies and speak soon xoxo